Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ham and Cheese Sliders

Sliders have become quite the rage in the last few years making appearances on chain restaurant menus, cooking magazines, and many food blogs. While I'm not a fan of slider from White Castle, I do enjoy making different sandwich sliders for my family. I especially love when I find the package of those cute little buns on Manager Special at Kroger for under 75 cents! One time, I found them for 39 cents. I picked up 3 packages and put them in my freezer. We have Quick Bite Sandwich Night once a week, and I can always find something yummy to slap between those two little circles of bread.

I came across this recipe from Janelle at Comfy in the Kitchen last spring. Like me, Janelle enjoys making ministry meals, meals she takes to families in need. This is one of her favorite recipes because it can be made ahead, is easily transportable, reheats wonderfully, and pleases eaters of all sorts.

I've altered her original recipe slightly to fit our tastes and budget. I made these several times over the summer, and they've been a big hit around our table. I love that this recipe can be made ahead and then baked right before serving. They're perfect for a company lunch, a weekend gathering, or a simple dinner.  The secret to these little sandwiches is the sweet, savory sauce that you pour over the top after you make the sandwiches. When they bake, the sauce coats the sandwich and you're left with a finger licking delight! Pair with a simple green salad and some fruit, and you've got a real winner!

With kids, I like the smaller slider bun/dinner roll size. You could also make them on hamburger buns or even hot dog buns if that's what you have. They would also be really good on those little Hawaiian rolls, but those can be a bit more expensive.

I thought I had a photo of these from earlier in the summer, but I can't seem to find it right now. Click on Janelle's link up above, and you can see her finished product. Take some time to look around on her site, too. She has some really yummy family friendly recipes.

Here's the recipe:


Ham and Cheese Sliders (small version, enough for one family)

1 package of 12 slider rolls (or dinner rolls) - look for Manager Special items
1/2 - 3/4  pound deli ham, sliced thin (Prepackaged or fresh from deli counter)
1/4 pound swiss cheese, sliced thin
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp yellow mustard

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

3 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp poppy seeds

 

1.       Make sandwiches on buns. (I like to put cheese on top and bottom with ham in the middle; kids can also help assemble these if you like help in the kitchen)

2.       Place sandwiches in a greased 9x13 pan.

3.       In a small saucepan, bring butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and poppy seeds to a soft boil.

4.       Pour sauce over the tops of the sandwiches.

5.       Cover pan with foil.

6.       Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350.

 

 

Ham and Cheese Sliders (the Full Version, makes a full cookie sheet’s worth of sandwiches; great for a party/guests)

2 pkg slider rolls or dinner rolls (24 in all)

1 lb. deli ham

½ lb swiss cheese

¾ stick butter

2 Tbsp mustard

1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
 
1/3 cup brown sugar

2 tsp poppy seeds
1. Make sandwiches on buns. (I like to put cheese on top and bottom with ham in the middle; kids can also help assemble these if you like help in the kitchen)

2. Place sandwiches on a greased baking tray/cookie sheet with sides

3. In a small saucepan, bring butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and poppy seeds to a soft boil.

4. Pour sauce over the tops of the sandwiches.

5. Cover pan with foil.

6. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350.
 
 
What's your favorite way to use those cute little slider buns?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment