Friday, February 10, 2012

It's a Keeper Muffins - A Guest Post

Today I've invited my friend, Helen, to share one of her favorite "It's a Keeper!" recipes.  An "It's a Keeper Recipe" would be one of those long forgotten recipes that you stumble upon in your pile of stored recipes.  You wonder, "Should I keep this one, or toss it?  My recipe pile is getting out of control!" 

Helen and I first met when our 8 year olds were in preschool together.  Our paths have continued to cross through the years as we are both busy, on the go moms, looking for ways to feed our families economical, nutritious, easy to fix meals that our children will eat without complaining.  I hope you enjoy her recipe and are maybe inspired to look through your own stack of stashed recipes and decide what's a keeper and what can go. 


Hi! My name is Helen. I'm a full time mom & wife, part time lunch lady, and full time crazy busy. I am always looking for a hearty muffin other than those sold in plastic wrap or baked from premade mixes that scream "Just add water" to feed myself, my three growing children, and my on the go hubby. After several family recipe book clean outs, I found this muffin recipe that you can make as a single serve snack or feed to a crowd. The batter also keeps for up to 5 weeks covered in the fridge or garage (if Ohio ever gets a winter) so you only have to go through the prep work once and can enjoy many batches of these deliciously moist and tasty muffins. I hope you enjoy these as much as my family and I do!

Here's the recipe I found and decided to keep:


ME's Keep it muffins
9 Cups raisin bran cereal
1 - 15 oz. box golden raisins
4 Cups sugar
5 Cups flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt






Mix the above dry ingredients in a LARGE bowl. I use my hands to make sure all the raisins are covered and unclumped. Next add the wet ingredients...


4 Cups of buttermilk
4 eggs
1 cup of oil


Mix well without crushing up the cereal. Transfer to a LARGE (I use a 19 cup container) plastic container with a lid. Let sit overnight in the fridge or garage (if it is between 35 and 40 degrees).

Scoop mix from the top (it is very important to NOT mix the batter) and place in prepared (papered or sprayed) muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until the tester comes out clean.

These muffins can be made on a waffle iron, too. You should test out a couple to see how long they need to "bake" on your particular iron. Also, if you want to make a small batch, they can be made in a toaster oven.  I use mine to make six or fewer, but I have to watch so I don't get them too done.

Our family has been known to swap the raisins for craisins or press chocolate chips or nuts gently into the top of the unbaked muffins. Enjoy!

ME's Keep It Muffins make an excellent snack any time of day


What's your favorite recipe that you've found in a stashed pile and decided "It's a keeper!"?

This recipe fit the description over at Eat At Home Ingredient Spotlight: Dry Cereals.  Check out some other great ideas using dry cereals.  Maybe you'll find one that's "a keeper"!


2 comments:

  1. I think this is the muffin recipe I remember. How long can you keep the batter in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are the ones we used to call "6 week muffins" because they keep so well in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete