Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crock Pot Sesame Chicken

Do you own a 2 qt crock pot? I just bought one, and I'm loving it!  I use my larger 4 qt and 6 qt crock pots frequently, but I've noticed that sometimes the pots are just too big for the things I'm trying to make which results in overcooked food.  So, I found a 2 qt crock pot on sale at Target for $10 a couple weeks ago, and we've been enjoying some delicious meals that are just the right size for our family.

Here's one of our new favorites.  This is another Asian dish that just did not photograph very well with my limited photography skills.  Let's just say it looks a lot like a Chinese take out container filled with sesame chicken - brownish chunks of chicken in a light brown sauce topped with itty bitty light brown spots (sesame seeds).  Atop a bed of brown rice, this did not look dramatically appetizing, but the taste was superb, so I wanted to share it with you.  The sauce was a good combination of sweet and spicy with just the right amount of thickness, and the chicken was super tender and moist.  It also reheated well the next day for lunch.

I first read about this recipe at Mom on Mission.  She prepares a Sesame Chicken Freezer Meal Kit.  I basically followed her recipe without the freezer sauce step.  After buying chicken breasts on sale for $1.77/lb, I cut the chicken into cubes before I put it in the freezer. I then made the sauce on the day I prepared the meal.  She states that you can make the sauce and freeze it in a separate bag beside your chicken and then combine it on cooking day.  I will likely try that the next time because this dish will certainly be making a repeat performance on our menu.  The 2 qt crock pot makes a generous one night meal with enough leftover for 1-2 small lunches for our family of 5. 

Here's the recipe:
Sesame Chicken
1.5-2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts cut into large cubes (boneless thighs would also work)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup rice vinegar
6 Tbsp brown sugar
6 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup water
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to suit tastes)

1.  Place flour in a ziploc bag and add chicken chunks; shake to coat evenly.
2.  Place floured chicken pieces in 2 qt crock pot.
3.  Mix together all other ingredients in a small bowl.  Stir to combine.
4.  Pour sauce over chicken.
5.  Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.

Serve over a bed or rice with favorite green steamed vegetable.  Sprinkle with additional toasted sesame seeds if you want.  Chop sticks optional.

What's your favorite Asian inspired crock pot meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment