I got ready to put together a batch of No Bake Granola Bars when I realized we did not have any cheerios on hand except for the apple cinnamon flavored ones. I had already poured the honey and brown sugar into the sauce pan, so I looked around in our cereal stash to see what might make a good substitute. We had a half-eaten box of Cocoa Krispies in the cupboard, so I thought I'd give that a try.
I'm licking my lips as I write this post, because this combination of old fashioned oats, Cocoa Krispies, and the sweet peanut butter goo that holds them all together is delicious! In fact, they might even be better than my other recipe. I topped them with a few chocolate chips and those were still a little melty during my taste test. I hope there are still enough left for the week's after school snacks by the end of the day! These are going to be a big hit with the snackers in our house!
Here's the recipe:
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Granola Bars
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups Cocoa Krispies
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the honey and brown sugar to a slight boil (just enough to dissolve all the sugar crystals) stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter.
3. Add in the oats and rice krispies stirring gently until they are all coated in the peanut butter goo.
3. Spread with a spatula in a greased 9x13 pan.
4. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and press down slightly on them.
5. Let cool and cut into bars.
(or eat them while they are still warm!)
|No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Granola Bars|
Cooled bars may be individually wrapped ready to be eaten by hungry snackers, frozen to be enjoyed later on, or stored in a large container for a few days.
What's your favorite homemade grab and go snack item?