Thursday, April 26, 2012

Spinach, Sausage, and Cheese Roll Ups

It's getting to be the end of the school year, and the kids are getting tired of the same old thing in their lunches.  Or maybe it's that I'm getting tired of packing the same old thing in their lunches!  Either way, it was time to try something new in my weekly batch cooking session. 

Typically I make breakfast or snack items during my batch cooking sessions, but this week I decided to whip up something new for the kids' lunches.  I had some browned sausage and a loaf of bread dough in the freezer, a few handfuls of fresh spinach, and about a half package of shredded cheese that I decided I could turn into something.  I made sort of a twist to my old standby stromboli.  Instead of rolling it all up and cooking it whole, I rolled it up and sliced it into wheels.  Kind of like a cinnamon roll, only with savory fillings instead of sweet ones.

The result was a winner!  The kids each ate one when they came home from school and both the big girls asked if they could have them in their lunch.  They were quite delicious warm from the oven, but I think they will taste good in their lunchboxes, too.  Both girls enjoy leftover pizza, so this is not too different.  The best part of this recipe, however, is that no one seemed to mind the spinach that was in the recipe!

Here's the recipe:

Spinach, Sausage and Cheese Roll Ups
1 loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed (or use a chunk of the artisan bread dough)
1-2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 -3/4 lb ground sausage, browned
1-1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (I used a mexican blend, but any kind would be good)

1.  Roll the bread dough into a large rectangle on a generously floured surface.
2.  Layer the spinach, sausage, and cheese on top of the dough.

3.  Carefully roll the dough with the fillings inside to form a tight cylinder.  (Pinch/press the dough seem together with your fingers to keep the filling from exploding when you slice it)
4.  Using a serrated knife dipped in flour, carefully slice the tube of filled dough into 3/4 inch slices.
5.  Place each piece on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
6.  Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 until lightly brown.

Spinach, Sausage and Cheese Roll Ups
Perfect for lunch or snack, these savory rolls got a thumbs up
from my non-spinach eater, "You can't even taste the spinach!"

What kind of fillings would you put in a lunchbox roll up?

No comments:

Post a Comment