Thursday, January 26, 2012

Egg Casserole

Looking for a simple egg casserole made from just a few basic ingredients?  This is my standard egg casserole recipe handed down from my mom.  There's nothing fancy about it, but I can tell you that it is always the first pan emptied whenever I take it to a breakfast gathering.  My husband and children love this dish, so we have it fairly often, sometimes even for dinner!  I picked up eggs for just 99 cents/doz last week, a roll of sausage for under $2, and 8 oz of shredded cheddar for just $1.50 making this very budget friendly dish.  It took me about 10 minutes to put this together

Like many other egg casserole recipes, this one should be mixed up a day ahead and then baked on the day you want to eat it.  Our "new" house has a "bake and hold" feature on the oven which is quite handy.  We came home from church on Sunday morning with this delicious brunch dish ready for us when we walked in the door.  It reheats very well, so we enjoyed another breakfast's worth during the week warmed up in the microwave.

Egg Casserole
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp salt
2 or 3 pieces of bread, cubed (I have also used leftover hamburger/hot dog buns)
1 lb sausage, browned and drained (I prefer Bob Evans)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
2.  Whisk in the milk, mustard, and salt.
3.  Fold in the cubed bread, browned sausage, and cheese.
4.  Pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
5.  Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
6.  The next day, remove cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350.  (The casserole will be bubbly and brown slightly).
7.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

We enjoyed this casserole with toast and strawberry rhubarb jam and fresh fruit. (Sorry for the shadow and the table glare.  I took the photo in a hurry as we had hungry children!)



What's your favorite breakfast casserole recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment