Thursday, January 19, 2012

Individual Blueberry Trifles

October is birthday season at our house!  The 3 year old, 8 year old, and I all have our birthdays within 5 days.  We have separate celebrations for each of us, so that can be a lot of cake to consume at one time.  What do I do with all that cake?  You should know the answer by now even though you’ve only been reading the blog for a couple of weeks. . . . I throw some of it in the freezer to be enjoyed later!

So, I came across a small pan of unfrosted white cake in the freezer during the freezer inventory.  I had cut 4 small circles out of the cake to make the 3 year old's pink princess castle cake.  (The cake rounds were the base for the turrets on the castle.)  I figured the remainder of the cake could be used for a trifle or strawberry shortcake or something in the future, so I tossed it in the freezer.

We had a pork roast on Sunday for dinner.  I thought that simple meal needed a little happy ending, so I whipped up a batch of these heavenly individual blueberry cake trifles.  I have several bags of blueberries in the freezer (my parents live in the heart of Michigan blueberry country).  I used two cups to turn into a sweet topping for the cake and added some cool whip.  The only problem. . . . they weren’t big enough!  We all were scraping the dishes trying to get that last bit of sweet blueberry goodness!

Individual Blueberry Trifle


Here’s the recipe for the blueberry topping, the only real cooking I had to do.  It came together in under 5 minutes:


Blueberry Topping

2 cups frozen blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.  Stir and heat over medium heat until the bubbling.  Cook for one minute to thicken.  Cool before putting on top of the trifles.  (This is also delicious over vanilla ice cream!)


Individual Blueberry Trifles

White cake, cut into cubes (I had about a half of a 9x9 pan of cake)
Blueberry topping (you could also use any can of pie filling or thicken any fruit you might have)
½ carton of Light Cool Whip

1.  Put a few cubes of cake in the bottom of a parfait glass.
2.  Spoon a blob of blueberry topping on top.
3.  Add a spoonful of cool whip.
4.  Repeat layers.
5.  Place in the frig until you’re ready to eat. 

What do you do with leftover cake?

1 comment:

  1. What,left over cake!? We always eat it all! :-)

    ReplyDelete