Friday, January 13, 2012

Ginger Maple Pancakes

My 11 year old daughter thinks one app that would make the iPad 2 even more magnificent than it already is would be the iSmell App.  That iSmell App would be so useful for today's recipe because my kitchen smells heavenly, and the aroma is not coming from the candle in the background.  It's from this double batch of delicious Ginger Maple Pancakes that I made Wednesday afternoon during naptime.

Ginger Maple Pancakes

I first discovered this recipe on a post on 5dollardinners.com.  Here's the link to the post where I read about the recipe.  http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/12/ginger-maple-pancakes.html

I made them for the first time this fall when I was starting to get a craving for more fall inspired foods.  You know the ones with rich spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, etc.  I was leery as I put together the batter because they seemed a little thin.  The smell, however, was encouraging.  Then came the real test - the taste.  Well, it's like a hot gingerbread cookie under a stream of rich, maple syrup (which I added on top of my short stack at the table).  Simply divine.

Better yet, these babies can be made ahead and reheated for a quick breakfast or after school snack.  I made a double batch today in under 30 minutes while the 3 year old was "resting".   We'll eat a few after school, keep a few in the frig for breakfasts the rest of this week, and freeze some for breakfasts or snacks in the weeks to come.

I also put together a homemade Christmas gift for several special people in our lives this year using this recipe.  I mixed together all the dry ingredients for a double recipe, put the mix in a glass jar, and attached the recipe.  The recipients just had to add the wet ingredients and cook them up at home. 

Here's the recipe:

Ginger Maple Pancakes
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
4 Tbsp maple syrup
4 Tbsp melted butter

1.  Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2.  Whisk together the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
3.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4.  Cook pancakes on griddle.
5.  Serve with butter and syrup or orange marmalade.

What's your favorite recipe made with ginger and cinnamon?

2 comments: