Monday, January 30, 2012

Sausage Balls

Sausage Cheese Balls
A popular recipe of the early 1980's was Sausage Balls appearing in many cookbooks and magazines.  Did your mom ever make these?  We used to eat them as appetizers at Christmas time. 

I made a batch of sausage balls for a Birthday Party for Jesus I hosted for my kids and some of our friends years ago.  The kids just loved these little bite sized morsels of sausage, cheese, and biscuit mix.  Since then, I have kept them a regular go to item in my recipe file for enjoyment at any time of the year.  They make a great protein addition to breakfast or a quick afterschool snack.  They reheat wonderfully in the microwave, just 15 seconds for 3 sausage balls.  My kids love to eat them with a sword toothpick!

Saturday morning, the kids and John were watching Star Wars the Clone Wars, so I decided to put together a batch of Sausage Balls for us to enjoy for breakfast along with some scrambled eggs and fruit.  We had a very busy Saturday with the girls' activities, so it was nice to have a relaxing breakfast all sitting down together at the table before we all went our separate ways for the day. 

I like this recipe because it contains just 3 simple ingredients and can be assembled in about 10 minutesI had picked up the sausage for $1.30 last week, and I still had a bag of shredded cheddar in the frig making it a low cost recipe.  This recipe is easy enough and turns out so good that my husband has made them for some of his work/social gatherings over the years.  I've found that cooking them on a piece of foil sprayed with Pam makes the clean up super easy, too.

Here's the recipe:

Sausage Cheese Balls
2 cups Bisquick (or all purpose baking mix)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb pork sausage

1.  Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Use a pastry blender, fork, or your hands to combine it all together.  Add a drop or two of water if it seems too dry.  (the fat content of the sausage and cheese varies, so sometimes I need to add a little more wetness to hold them together)

2.  Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a greased, foil lined cookie sheet.

3.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350.

Enjoy as a breakfast treat, an appetizer for a party, or as a snack!  Eating with a sword toothpick is optional!
Sausage Cheese Balls

What's your favorite 3 ingredient recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment